July 27, 2009
Pilots Unite to Celebrate Aviation at AirVenture
Pilots and aviation enthusiasts from all over the world have once again begun to converge on Wittman Regional Airport in Oshkosh, Wisconsin for AirVenture, the annual celebration of aviation. This event helps to stoke the fire of enthusiasm for aviation dreamers. I vividly remember attending this event and dreaming of coming back some day as a pilot. This week, I will be making my third visit to AirVenture since realizing my dream. On Saturday I will celebrate the five year anniversary of earning my Pilot's License in the best way possible: surrounded by fellow pilots and aviation enthusiasts at Oshkosh.
One of the biggest challenges for a visit to AirVenture is planning your days. I will have little more than two days at this event and will do my best to fit all I can during my time there. The AirVenture website offers a nice planning tool that allows you to search the vast list of activities and meetings and filter them by your own preferences. You can save and print your personalized itinerary. Sadly, they have not figured out a solution to clone speakers or attendees so I am going to have to miss some exciting events to participate in others.
Here are just a few of the events, meetings or sights I plan to enjoy during my visit to AirVenture.
- Aviation Social Media Meetup hosted by the folks at MyTransponder
- Night Flying presented by Max Trescott
- US Airways 1549 presented by Captain Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger and his crew
- The EAA Runway 5K
- Screening on the A Pilot's Story Documentary
- Screening of the FlyAbout documentary
- Walking the flightline, exhibit booths and enjoying the flight performances